Are you a transportation safety professional looking to take charge? If so, this is a fantastic opportunity for you. Meiborg Bros is a family owned trucking & logistics company that is expanding quickly and looking for an experienced Transportation Safety Specialist to join our existing top-notch team.
The Safety Specialist directs, instructs and confirms compliance on all DOT/FMCSA regulations and state laws. The position is responsible for upholding the drug and alcohol testing program maintains, driver qualification files and conducts driver safety training sessions, meetings and/or driver coaching sessions. Drivers report to the Manger of Safety and Compliance.
Additionally, the position will have recommended changes and/or improvements to established company safety programs. Maintains critical event reporting logs, conducts accident/incident investigations, recommends new policy or improvements to existing policies and assists with driver Human Resource functions. Monitors and reviews CSA scores, ensures ELD compliance and log checks for the fleet and coordinates new driver hiring, verifications selection and new driver on-boarding with operations team.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead and oversee all aspects of development, implementation, standardization and management of the Company’s DOT and FMCSA programs including, driver qualification files, DOT drug and alcohol programs, reasonable suspicion, hours of service, hazardous materials training, etc.
- Advises leadership and operations team on safety compliance concerns, seeks out industry best practices with an emphasis on more effective and efficient methods, recommends improvements with preventative and/or corrective actions and develops an implementation plan on actionable items.
- Develop and implement standardized processes for driver background checks, pre-employment, medical screenings, DOT physicals, driver re-certification and driver log verification.
- Lead and oversee all aspects of development, implementation, standardization and management of the Company’s PPE program, LOA/injury-return to work and new driver hiring in conjunction with operations, and HR.
- Conduct incident/accident investigations, root-cause analysis, follow up and closure of action items and maintain incident logs. Leverage learning across the organization for all accidents involving Company personnel and/or equipment.
- Review pending and upcoming changes to Federal DOT and state regulations to ensure the Company is prepared for future compliance changes.
- Implement communication and training plan for Company drivers, support and management staff to communicate changes.
- Work with operations personnel to implement and manage a proactive behavior-based approach to HSSE with a strong emphasis on personal responsibility incident prevention and a management systems approach to compliance.
- Plan, coordinate and conduct driver safety meetings and direct all ongoing face to face and computer-based compliance and safety training programs.
- Conduct spot safety audits in the field on drivers and equipment and perform simulated DOT audits to establish compliance grades and readiness.
- Directly supervise driver staff by enforcing organizational standards, operational and behavioral compliance and enforcement of Federal/state mandates through Company coaching and disciplinary action guidelines.
- Directly supervise driver staff to resolve day to day safety concerns, mediate disputes, resolve tardiness/attendance issues, and conduct annual driver job performance reviews.
- Understands and lives the Meiborg Bros Vision, Mission, & Values.
- Job duties may change with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety management or administration, engineering, environmental, logistics, business or related science discipline preferred. Other combinations of job related experience and education that meet the requirements may be substituted.
- Requires 3 years’ experience working in DOT.
- Strong experience and competence with Microsoft Suite, Google Suite, Excel, PowerPoint and Word required. Omnitracs a Plus.
- Advanced organizational skills with excellent communication both verbal and written.
- Strong capabilities to supervise drivers and mentor one to two people as role support and back up.
- Good analytical skills, committed to meet deadlines and is reliable within all aspects of the job responsibilities.
- Outgoing and a good team player with ability to work with different layers of the organization, cultures, nationalities and backgrounds.
CDL Class A